Lesotho Seed Funding 2009
In 2009 ENERGIA assisted GENOL through a seed funding project. The main activities that took place under the seed funding project were: training for the construction of ceramic stoves; tree planting; gender sensitization workshop for government officials; and advocacy for GENOL. In addition during this project GENOL was officially launched as an NGO.
- To launch GENOL as non-governmental organisation and to hold the inaugural AGM.
- To sensitize policy makers and executives on the concept of mainstreaming gender in energy policies and programmes.
- Increase awareness of GENOL among practitioners and the general public.
- Launch programmes for marketing dung cakes, and ceramic stove construction.
- GENOL launched as NGO.
- 60 Rankhelepe residents, both men and women, were actively participated in tree planting project. To date, five thousand trees have being planted covering about 4 hectares.
- 60 Rankhelepe residents, both men and women actively participating in project for obtaining wood chips for improved combustion of dung cakes.
- Increased media attention and awareness of GENOL.
- Some of the partners though committed to the network, and willing to participate in GENOL’s events they have busy schedules and are not able to partake despite their willingness to do so.
- Good communication skills are vital to carry the message across to deal with people at the grass roots level.
- Regarding tree planting: endemic trees should be planted (ts’inabelo) and let go of the exotics which dry out catchments and later colonize the area.
- There should be contingency planning and budgets for unforeseen expenses and constraints in relation to projects.
- There is clear evidence that climate change should form core business of the Network
- Due to a number of economic and social problems gender roles are being revised and reversed, there is therefore a need to revisit our definitions of gender needs.
- There is need for the introduction of credit schemes for poor households to access energy technologies.
Lesothos Final Seed fund report - Download